5 Easy Ways to Find the Absolute Best Tree on the Lot
- Know your measurements! The most important thing is to measure the tree to make sure it will fit the space in your home. Measure your room and bring your measuring tape with you so you don’t pick a tree that’s too big!
- Test for freshness: Take a branch in your hand and gently pull along the branch. If the tree is fresh, it should retain its needles.
- Then test for freshness another way: Another test is to tap the base on the ground and see if needles shake off the tree. If only a few fall off the tree, it is fresh.
- Check the needles: You should also check the pliability of the needles. A fresh tree’s needle should be pliable and not break in half in your hand.
- If you’re seeing spots, keep looking: If the tree has a musty smell or brown spots, the tree is sick or was cut a long time ago, so move on to the next one.